Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dress-Up

Yesterday I spent my entire day working on something that I've been wanting to get to for weeks now. . . sewing a dress!

The boys were gone for a large part of the day at something called "HUNTFEST", so I decided to do something that would be rather difficult to do if there were three males in the house, and that was to sew a dress.  My very first dress.

I bought the material about 4 months ago, with no specific plan in mind . . . I just loved the material so I bought it.  It was ON SALE and I immediately fell in love with the pattern and color scheme.  I know pink isn't everyone's "thing", but it is mine.  And when you live in a house full of the male persuasion, pink is a welcomed addition (at least in my world, it is!).

The dress took way longer to construct than I thought it would.  I actually did have plans to get some other chores done yesterday, but they took a back-seat to my dress project.

I must say, some parts of the dress were easier to create than I anticipated (like the sleeves) and some parts were more difficult to create than I anticipated (like the darts--I still haven't mastered those and honestly, I don't think I ever will).  But, overall I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I followed the sizing as per the pattern measurements of bust, waist and hips; but if I were to make this dress over again, I would go one size smaller.  I feel like there's a lot of unecessary bulk to the dress that I could have avoided had I sewn the dress one size smaller.  But, I was trusting the pattern's sizing numbers . . . somehow that part of it just didn't work out so well.  As a result, I did my own modifications along the way but still feel like the dress isn't entirely the way I envisioned it to be; but hey, it was my first attempt at a dress, and it has not stopped me from wanting to make another dress; in fact, I can't wait til I get to start on dress number two!

So, here it is.  I wore my new dress to church today and upon entering the building, a comment was immediately made by the Greeter regarding my outfit.  She liked it.  (At least someone does).

This is one way to wear it . . . tied in the front and off to the side, sitting at the waist or slightly below.

Another way to wear it is with the tie at the back, the waistband sitting right under the bustline.

Here's a better view of the top/neckline, plus a
very happy Kimmy-face!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful!!! I love the colour and pattern on you. Sewing is one thing I "wish" I could do, but just haven't taken the time to learn to do (outside of Grade 9 Home Ec, that is!).

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabric. Looks fabulous on you! At the rate you are going, you might have to sew my daughter's bridesmaid dresses one day. Just joking! No pressure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete